Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Grandaddy

Exactly one year ago today, Grandaddy went home to be with Jesus. I am just remembering him today...and the legacy that he left here on earth. He lived 94 years and was married for 74 of those years to my Grandmommy, who now lives in Lubbock. (How many couples see 74 years together?!)
There are so many things that I'll remember about Grandaddy and so many things to learn from his life, but one of the things that I think his life exhibited the most was the beauty of simplicity. I remember how many people talked this time last year about what a simple life Grandaddy lived, but how it was so full of love. He drove a school bus for 30 years, was a farmer in a tiny little West Texas town called Quitaque (pronounced Kitty-kway...is definitely one of my favorite places in the world), was an elder (and a song leader) at the little church there, and loved nothing more than a game of HORSE in basketball or a game of dominoes. He was selfless and gave of himself tirelessly. He was a devoted member of his church. He was a man of amazing integrity. He LOVED the Lord. And as my dad said at the funeral last year, Grandaddy was maybe not "great" in the eyes of the world...he never made a lot of money and he wasn't a man of great power or stature. But his life was great in the Kingdom. To quote Mother Teresa, he did "small things with great love".
I so desire to live more simply. Grandaddy left a legacy of love and simplicity.
I remember thinking about this song a lot at this time last year. It just reminded me so much of Grandaddy and really became my prayer for my own life.

LEGACY - Nichole Nordeman

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well done, good and faithful one.."

No doubt those are the very words that Grandaddy heard when he saw Jesus...

No comments: