Monday, September 15, 2008

still restlessly seeking...



I am beyond myself excited for this movie to come out...soon, very soon.


I am continuing to wrestle...God has opened my eyes and has been breaking my heart for the things that are happening in the world around me. And I just can't sit on it...I can't ignore it. I know I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but I just can't shake this!...not that I want to. But what to do with it is the question! I struggle with knowing how we as followers of Christ - the Christ who spent his time on earth with the "lepers" of the world (literally and figuratively...) - how are we to respond to the brokenness and the poverty and the sick and the dying? It's just so hard living in this ease and comfort that we live in here in America to connect - or even grasp the reality - of people who don't have clean water to drink or who go to bed every night scared for their lives. Very few of us have any realm of experience from which to draw to connect with people who are experiencing things like this. So yeah, what does this look like for us here? I'm still seeking...
I've been debating whether or not to go to this conference I head heard about called Catalyst. When I first went to the website to check it out, I noticed that there was like this whole lab track that you could sign up for called "Justice". And it's basically going to be focused on how our culture is being faced with major social issues and how the mission of the Church intersects with those needs.  Check out the sweet list of some of the speakers:
  • Jena Lee Nardella - Executive Director of Blood:Water Mission
  • Bethany Hoang - Director of International Justice Mission
  • Jeff Shinabarger - Founder of Rwanda Clean Water
  • Peter Greer - President of Hope International
So that totally grabbed my attention...a whole lab track on the Church's role in this new age of awareness and responsibility...exactly what I've been seeking God on lately! (Of course the fact that one of my favorite speakers of all time - Matt Chandler - is going to be speaking at the conference was also a major draw. :) The only thing holding me back from signing up were: A. money (or the lack thereof) and B. the fact that no one around here wants to shell out the dough to go, so I'd be journeying to Atlanta alone. But I'm kind of a fan of little adventures alone...so long story short - I took the plunge tonight and signed up to go. Come to find out, the lab track is actually a pre-conference event the day before it starts, so I'm going to the labs but not the actual conference. haha...weird, I know. But I really think God wants to show me something there. I absolutely don't believe it's a coincidence that there's an entire lab track on the exact thing that I've been seeking Him about and wrestling with for the past few months. I don't know what's ahead...I'm excited...
In other news, I got my first pair of TOMS shoes today. And I love them with all my heart. I totally encourage you to check these things out. A. their super comfy and B. for every pair you purchase, TOMS gives a pair to a child in need. Sweet stuff. 
http://www.tomsshoes.com/
I got this pair...you know you want some :)

No comments: