Monday, September 29, 2008

The One Necessary Thing

"As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

I love Martha. I get her. If I'm one of these people, I'm Martha. I get the pressure and the weight that comes along with "work" and service. Work is an addiction in our country today. Most of us work like crazy. I totally feel the weight of having much to do - even GOOD things to do. Martha's not doing anything bad here. She's being a good hostess. She got caught up in things that need to be done. But is that life?! 

Jesus tells her that ONE thing is necessary. There's really one thing that you have to have.  And Mary chose it - Christ. She's chosen the thing that fills her soul. She's chosen the "good portion". And Jesus says that it won't be taken from her! We can get so busy doing what is "right" that we miss the necessary thing. I was there...and last night, I watched the one necessary thing happen.



Eternity changed for 5 students last night. The Spirit was all over that room. And it just left me thinking, "Really, what else matters after this?".  I once heard Matt Chandler say, "Only a fool would exchange bottles of water for gold in the desert". There's one thing necessary. 

I want to be Mary. I just want to sit at His feet. I want the one necessary thing - HIM.

1 comment:

J.P. Robinson said...

Nothing else really matters, does it? Guess we're seeing that more and more. God seems to be showing us quite a bit so it'll sink in. I'm ok with the frequency. I think we'll get it, but I wouldn't mind some more nights like last Sunday as reminders :)