Monday, October 6, 2008

I Have a Problem...

I really don't know when or how it happened. I've always enjoyed reading...in fact, there is more than one photo of me as a two-year-old sitting on the couch (in my diaper only) with a stack of books sitting next to me as I go through each book one by one..."reading" in gibberish. My parents are both teachers, so I think it was just a natural things to always have books around. 
But at some point in the last couple of years, I fear that I may have developed a slight addiction to....books. It's getting a little ridiculous. One of my roommates has started referring to my room as "the library"! And what's SUPER annoying about my addiction is that I cannot ever stinkin' FINISH a book that I'm on before I buy another one and start reading it! So on top of addiction issues, I have a commitment problem as well! 
Seriously...I have currently gotten through about 1/4 of each of these books and have not finished any of them yet! 
Jesus for President by Shane Claiborne
UnChristian by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons
Gorgeously Green by Sophie Uliano (please see one of my first posts entitled "Chartreuse is the New Black :)
Sex God by Rob Bell
Wide Awake by Erwin McManus
And this is only the beginning...these are all the books that I still have waiting in LINE after I finish those five!
Walking With God by John Eldridge
Technical Virgin by Hayley DiMarco (yeah this is a youth ministry one :)
God's Neighborhood by Scott Roley
Green Leaf in Drought by Isabel Kuhn
So I told myself (and many others) that I REFUSED to by any more books until I finish the ones I have! Last week, JP and I are at Lifeway trying to find some material for youth...what do I do? I purchase 3 more books. Now granted, these are all mainly for what we're going to be doing with the youth this semester...but they ARE books, nonetheless...so now let's add these 3 to the list:
2 Die 4 by Ryan Dobson
Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris
Be The Change by Zach Hunter.

Yes. I have a literature addiction. If anyone else out there has struggled in this area and has since found freedom, your words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.
and dear LORD, in the midst of reading lots of cool books, may I never forget THE Word. Lots of books vying for my attention...but heaven forbid I ever forsake my first love!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry I have no answers for you. I too suffer from bookbuyingtitus. I now have three huge stacks in my bedroom on the floor cause my bookshelf is full. And the worst part is that every time I return a book to the library, I walk out with 3-4 more. What was that 12-step program that Bobby laid out on Sunday? I need to go find my notes now.

Jamie Vance said...

Hmm, I think I have all the same symptoms you do...but, I don't think it's addiction. Okay, I lied, first step is admitting I have a problem...I have a problem! I love the smell of books! Weird, I KNOW! But the older they are, the better they smell!

I didn't know Scott Roley published a book! I KNOW HIM! And I bet it's a good book too, I'm going to buy it!