Friday, October 30, 2009

at long last...

we are here! We arrived in the Entebbe airport at around 8:45 PM (12:45 PM in Tennessee/Texas time) after 27 hours of flying and sitting in airports.

We were greeted by Rev. James Adyeri and our driver for our trip, Elias. James and Elias are just really...kind (super outdated word, but the best one I could think of describe them). They're just heartwarming people. They picked us up and brought us over to our hotel for the night - The Crown Victoria of Entebbe. It's a nice hotel, so I'm just going to soak in a night of nice accommodations while I can! :) Tomorrow, we will drive into Kampala where we will pick up a computer that we're taking to the Kibbuse school and (hopefully) will be able to hit up the International Market!! (I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that one...)

Then we will be traveling to the village of Mityana (Rev Adyeri's home) where we will spend the rest of the day and night. Then the next morning, Matt and Amy will be meeting up with us and we'll be traveling to Niyamarwa!!!!

I have said this a million times in the past couple of hours, but I just can't believe I'm here. After years of dreaming of coming to this place, I'm actually sitting in a hotel in Uganda. It's crazy...

One of the things I've noticed most about the people I've met so far here is their smiles. They have the warmest, most genuine smiles that make you feel like they care about you. It makes you just want to give them a hug.

I am so excited to sleep...but even more excited for tomorrow to get here.

4 comments:

Katey said...

I miss you already. The house feels super empty. But I've been praying for you and I'm glad you've made it to Uganda safely. Can't wait to start hearing stories and seeing pictures. Those people will be SO BLESSED by your presence. Love you friend!

Heather said...

Whoooo Hooooo!!!! God is good! Many prayers, good vibes and love is coming to you from Georgia!

Cibermom said...

Glad everyone is there safe - can't wait to see photos and hear stories! Tell the rest of the crew the Cawleys say "hello".

Abbey said...

Melanie! This is Lisa Langford (under the alias of Abbey).
we will be praying for you and following your Uganda adventures. Randy Allen just came home from 2 weeks in Uganda - drawing architectural plans for the new christian university being built in Mbale! I want to go again someday...
Love from Lisa and Abbey