Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Adventures with the Robinson Crew, So? - Day 5

So for whatever reason, my will power was much stronger today and I got myself up at 8:00 to run. I’m not sure why I thought it would be cool enough to run at 8:00…it wasn’t. I haven’t sweat that profusely in a long time. Once I got back to the house, Riley came and jumped on me and slid all the way down my arm then looked disgustingly at her hands wandering what that wet, salty substance could possibly be. Apparently little girls just don’t sweat…

Today is JP and Jill’s anniversary so they took a little 24-hour getaway trip, which left Erica and Kate and me in charge of the kids! Today was even hotter than yesterday, so I definitely spent more time in the water. 

While Kate and Erica did some kayaking, I got on the innertube with Maria (JP’s mom) and Riley. We started drifting a little far so we started paddling back. I wasn’t really paying attention to the water until I realized that I had just grabbed some sort of sea creature while paddling. When I looked, I saw that I had grabbed a jellyfish…which of course made Riley freak out a little bit, but all was well. The dolphins have been making an appearance every once in a while, so I caught a little footage of them today.

 (DOLPHIN VIDEO SOON TO COME!)

After wearing ourselves out with our own laziness, we headed back to the house for the classic “babysitter dinner” – mac and cheese with ice cream for dessert! J I’m currently sitting out in the most amazing possible weather on our deck facing the Gulf with the sound of waves in the background…this is just a little piece of heaven right here. I can’t really remember what “normal” life is like…and I’m okay with that right now. I love seeing God in nature. Just looking at the enormity that is the ocean (wait, this is just the GULF!) makes you feel so small and just brings to mind the enormity of our God. When I see the awesomeness of God in nature, I sometimes get this “ache” deep down inside. I'm starting to think that it's like a form of homesickness because I'm catching a small glimpse of what I was truly created to experience. It's a realization that I was created for more than what I’m currently experiencing in this fallen world. And it reminds me of a C.S. Lewis quote (that I’m probably going to botch here) but it goes something like this: If this is the beauty bestowed upon fallen man, what more awaits those who believe in Him? (yeah, I definitely botched it, but you get the idea).

In more exciting news, I finished The Shack today! And I will now admit that it is a great book. The last two-thirds of the book were totally redeeming. I would recommend it to anyone, but especially to anyone who has experienced tragedy in their lives. My quote for today from The Shack comes from the After Words where this guy is talking about Mack, the main character...it just hits me right where I am!

“If you ever get a chance to hang out with Mack, you will soon learn that he’s hoping for a new revolution, one of love and kindness – a revolution that revolves around Jesus and what he did for us all and what he continues to do in anyone who has a hunger for reconciliation and a place to call home. This is not a revolution that will overthrow anything, or if it does, it will do so in ways we could never contrive in advance. Instead it will be the quiet daily powers of dying and serving and loving and laughing, of simple tenderness and unseen kindness, because if anything matters, then everything matters."

Small things with great love...preach it. 

1 comment:

jackie said...

I am so jealous. Looks like the beach is treating you well!